Wednesday 28 September 2016

The diet & exercise routine of one epileptic warrior.

Credits of imagery: Kaltenbachfitness

There have been many ''nutritionists'' claiming that if you eat certain foods or go onto a certain diet that it will help in controlling the status of the amount of seizures you have. I along with many people I know don't believe this. I believe as long as you eat a healthy and balanced diet accompanied with regular exercise that anyone's health will generally improve. Yes, I do think that it should be consistent but who am I to say otherwise.

I generally eat a more Mediterranean diet, lots of fish, plenty of vegetables either steamed or roasted. I avoid eating white potatoes and tend to stick with sweet potatoes. I have substituted rice for quinoa and regular semi-skimmed milk with unsweetened almond milk. As for snacks I like to have unsalted nuts and dried fruits like raisins and/or rice cakes. I drink a lot of green teas as I find it's great for flushing out any toxins within the body and no more than 2 litres of water per day, both of which I spread throughout the day evenly. Not only that I actually love the taste of green tea especially 'Twinings mango & lychee/cranberry/jasmine green tea' and 'Clipper white tea'. I've definitely become a tea addict! 

Green tea is loaded with antioxidants and nutrients that have great affects on your body. Human research studies show that green tea help improve brain function, fat loss, show a  lower risk of cancer and many other incredible benefits which you can find here 

When it comes to exercise, I like to do a fair amount as it's a good form of stress relief for me and allows me to focus on something else rather than daily anxieties or being alone. Since I got diagnosed with depression more recently it has been even more important for me to try and get out of the house. Along with the fact that with my constant changes to my medication my weight has constantly been fluctuating and I just want to get it under control. 

My workout schedule is as follows although sometimes it differs depending on the weeks appointments and tasks.


Monday: Gym session/Class
Tuesday: Group cycling/spinning class
Wednesday: Rest day
Thursday: Group cycling/spinning class
Friday: Gym session/Class
Saturday: Kettle bell class
Sunday: Rest day


Some people think I'm crazy for doing so much but it has really helped me not only physically but mentally too. Although I do still have my seizures I manage to work around them and am always carefully watched by a members of staff who know of my condition and are trained in what to do. Obviously if I've had a tonic clonic I tend to take a few days off to recover fully and then gradually work back into my exercise routine starting with only gentle exercise. 

Well that's about as much as I can tell you for now, if there is anything you'd like to know just message me and I'll respond as soon as I can.




No comments:

Post a Comment